Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Words from one of my FAVES, Billy Collins

In an interview for my poetry column recently,
Billy Collins told me a little story that shouldn't
be forgotten, so I offer it here in his words:


"Poetry seems to provide, more than ever,
an alternative to the din of public language
(advertising, politics, etc) and a more admirable
set of values than we find in consumer-mad
society. I read recently about a poetry
competition held in Barcelona every year. The
third place poet receives a silver rose, the
second place winner receives a golden rose,
and the first place poet--for having written
the very best poem--receives a real rose. So
take that, all you fans of bling."

Labels:

1 Comments:

At May 6, 2007 at 11:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stolen for my commonplace book... thanks for sharing it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home